The month of January is also known as ‘National Train your Dog Month’. As such – we wanted to share some tips and explain the importance (as well as benefits) of a well-trained dog. Here are 5 tips to get you started.
1) Training should be a part of you and your dog’s daily routine. Remember, consistency is key! Daily training is vital for learning.
2) Positive Reinforcement. Use a reward-based approach. Your pup will enjoy the process far more and be more likely to listen, be more willing to be trained, and be happier through the lessons.
3) Do some fun activities! Don’t focus all your time and energy on just obedience training. Take the time to teach them tricks too! Training should be a fun process for both of you and can offer excellent mental stimulation for your dog.
4) Potty Training is extremely important! If you find your dog urinating in the house (especially after they have been house-trained) It can be a sign of a possible medical condition or a sign of anxiety that needs to be looked after.
5) It’s never too late! Even older dogs can still learn tricks. Use positive reinforcement with reward-based training to teach them new skills.
Please keep in mind that all dogs are different, and some may require more attention and patience when it comes to training than others. If you find you are unable to properly train your dog yourself – reach out to obedience training programs that specialize in properly training dogs. Training is incredibly important and well-trained dogs tend to be happier, more relaxed, more manageable, and confident.
Sources referenced for the article: