Summer may be starting to wind down as thoughts of children going back to school in less than a month creep in- but we won’t go down without a fight! There is still plenty of time to throw that ultimate backyard BBQ, or a rocking patio party… just don’t forget about your furry friends at home!
Here is a simple list of human foods that are safe for your pet:
Safe for dogs:
- Peanut Butter
- Cooked chicken, turkey, salmon
- eggs (cooked, i.e scrambled) or oatmeal- both add protein to their diets.
- cheese, yogurt- yogurt is great to use if your dog passes gas a lot, or is particularly… stinky.
- baby carrots, pumpkin, green beans- be careful when giving your dog vegetables, it may seem like a good idea, but there are hidden terrors. for example, a broccoli stalk might be OK, yet the head contains sothiocyanate- which can be poisonous (same with cauliflower).
- apple slices, honey and coconut.
Dangerous foods for dogs:
Safe for cats:
- cooked meats ( try avoiding Tuna)
- spinach, fish oil
- cantaloupe, banana, pumpkin, apples, blueberries
Dangerous foods for cats:
- very similar to the info-graphic for dogs, as well as:
- milk/ dairy products- a lot of cats are actually intolerant towards dairy
- fat trimmings and bones
- raw eggs, meat or fish
- dog food