How to make your home pet-safe

Photo by Autri Taheri on Unsplash

March is National Pet Poison Prevention Month. This day was first recognized in 1961 under the administration of John F. Kennedy. Sixty years later, ASPCA now recognizes the whole month as an opportunity to educate the public on the potentially toxic substances in our homes and surroundings areas.

In 2019, ASPCA released its data for the 213,000 potential domestic animal calls received in the previous year. Of these calls: 

  • 19.6% were from accidental over-the-counter medication ingestions 
  • 17.5% were from human prescriptions 
  • 11.4% were from toxic foods 
  • 10.4% were from chocolate consumption
  • 7.3% were from everyday household items.

ASPCA also released that about 90% of all calls were for dogs, who, as many of us know, tend to get themselves into things as a result of their curious nature. 

 

But what exactly is toxic?

Oftentimes what seems like a good idea is not. Here is a list of items that are dangerous for your pet:

    • Over-the-counter medications (Ibuprofen, Tylenol, Aspirin etc.)
    • Human Prescriptions – Vitamins, ADHD medications, antidepressants etc.
    • Food – Onions, Grapes, Raisins, Garlic, Coffee, Xylitol(artificial sweetener)
    • Household Items – Paint, Glue, Cleaning products etc.
  • Chocolate – Alarming statistics state that cases rise every year, approximately 60 a day!

For a full list, please click here

 

 Warning signs

Thinking of your furry one getting poisoned is a scary feeling, but knowing what signs to look for is beneficial for the safety of your pet. Some of the signs you can look for are vomiting, diarrhoea, drooling, disorientation, hyper salivating, lack of appetite, nausea, and red gums. 

 

How to prepare and prevent

There are many ways to prevent your pets from getting a hold of these items such as maintaining cleaning items and other chemicals in a separate space where they’re not allowed, storing medicine and vitamins in high areas where it’s difficult to access and don’t leave sweets and leftovers unattended. 

 

What to do if your pet is showing signs 

Here’s what you should do if you believe your dog is in distress:

  • Call Poison Line SPCA – Hotline at 1(888) 426 – 4435
  • Visit your local emergency pet room 
  • Get your pet away from the poisonous item 

Caring for your furry one isn’t always simple, we know. This is why we’re here to help. Check out our other blog posts for more tips.

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on google
Google+
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on pinterest
Pinterest